go to bottom

<<  1    2    3    4  >>
Author: Subject: the ALL NEW WELCOME NEWBIES thread
kaitlynn
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: rent

posted on 2005-8-10 at 19:57
wow its only been forever since ive been on here...

-Kaitlynn*

"I dreamed a dream of days gone by, I dreamed a dream a life worth living. I dreamt that love would never die. I dreamt that life would be, forgiving...But the tigers come at night, with their voices loud as thunder. As they tear our dreams apart, as they turn our dreams to shame."
-Fantine
(oh the the lifelong sorrows)

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2005-8-11 at 00:34
any reason why you chose this thread?

nice to have you around again btw.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

Magnum

Currently listening to:

posted on 2005-8-12 at 04:14
Lol i just joined and at the same time found out that the livid was through
Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2005-8-12 at 13:00
Bummer, huh?
View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
1lilrockerchic
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: My Mp3 Player

posted on 2005-8-12 at 16:58
Shittty.

.::Lullaby::.
xX*I am sorry now (but will I ever let you go…)
Things seem so wrong (I had something worth living for)
I cant go on, but its something we’re suppose to do
My heart is crushed, now that I’m without you
I’m without you *Xx

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage AIM status of 1lilrockerchic This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of 1lilrockerchic
_Mezmerize_

Currently listening to: Protest the Hero

posted on 2005-8-12 at 17:49
Isnt there a way to end signups?Or mabe change the name of this whole forum to something else?Because theres not more The Livid and we could attract more people with yo u know something like The Pizza forums where we talk about Pizza only BITCH!

Ivan...and no I am not a douchebag like before ask Dez if youd like. AND GET HER TO 5000 POSTS

tremendous
Administrator

Currently listening to: Cigar Box Melody EP

posted on 2005-8-12 at 17:52
that's about the stupidest thing i've ever seen. engage brain, ivan.

stop people signing up? no more livid? my three cds are still right here in front of me and i'm still enjoying the music. i can still talk about them all day.

little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2005-8-12 at 18:36
I agree.
You must have been on something when you made that post, Brother Dez.

you won't let me down...

Magnum

Currently listening to:

posted on 2005-8-12 at 20:06
Yea, they are still the shit, but i can't beleive they are done, i am all the way in Missouri, US, and a lot of ppl here love their music, i wish they would've stayed together
Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

posted on 2005-8-12 at 23:48
On the bright side, it's possible some of them could move on to other musical endeavours, so we'll just have to wait and see.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2005-8-13 at 01:53
Yes! I got to be post 10,000.

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

The_virus

Currently listening to: Heartbeats with a Littmann Classic II S.E.

posted on 2005-9-19 at 03:41
Talk back trembling lips, burning eyes don't start crying...

Ahoy all,

I may be a new guy here, but I've actually been listening to The Livid for years, I just never got around to chatting here. I've done my duty by telling friends about The Livid and such...but I must say I've had no success. It's tough being the one guy in the circle of friends who listens to indie...after a while your pals stop listening to all the band names you mention and songs you put on their mix CDs.

Anyway, I'm a Paramedic student in Ottawa preparing to fight the good fight on yet another front. If you're wondering what a Littmann Classic II S.E. is (see "Currently Listing To:", it's a fairly good (definitely not top of the line) stethoscope.

Musically I'm into everything except rap. I honestly forget how I got into The Livid. I can narrow it down to either an old Mp3.com section (were they ever there?) before the site had it's major overhaul, OR a link from the website of another indie band. In any case I estimate the year was 2001-ish when I first heard them.

Other bands I'm into include: The Alkaline Trio, Celebrity, Clutch, Cheerleader, Iconoclast, Saves The Day, Diamond Back (local band), The Creeps, and a myriad of classic rock bands including, but certainly not limited to CCR and Deep Purple. I really do listen to everything though, lots of oldies from the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's.

I collect video games and flashlights (yes...flashlights) and hold a sizeable collection of both. I enjoy playing video games, and analyzing them for ideas and themes represented...as well as pointing out the devices and elements that are well done in them. Think of the way a scholar talks about books; that's the way I like to look at games...they may not be high art (yet?), but they are expressions of ideas. I don't have much of a collection of movies, mostly because many are not worth buying...but I do consider myself a movie buff of sorts. I studied Film in university but I'm not one of those elitist flim buffs who watches odd European art films exclusively. I haven't been to a theatre in quite a while though because I hate paying the highway robbery prices of my local cineplex to see rubbish. I don't mind renting rubbish though, it doesn't cost nearly as much and at least I can relax at home and discuss just how bad the film is as it plays with those in the room.

I've written reviews of games and flashlights online from a user's perspective (I'm not a professional in either industry) so you can find my ramblings all over if you really look carefully. Oh yes, and it's not that great of a story, but I can claim to have been on indie radio once on a station based out of Edmonton when I visited there once. And YES I did give the DJs some of The Livid, although I can't say if they ever played them...they probably got around to it eventually though. If nothing else they may have used it to get in their Canadian Content requirement for the show.

I played the trombone for two years, I can barely play the acoustic guitar, but I can sing (think Frank Sinatra/Marty Robbins) pretty well as long as I stay low, but I've never performed.

I'm sure this is really more than you care to know about me beyond my interest in The Livid, but I honestly hope you at least found my post to be an interesting read.

The Virus Runs Rampant

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2005-9-19 at 04:46
i'm interested in why you collect flashlights. big on X?

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2005-9-19 at 13:55
nice introductory post, that must be the longest post of the year. hope you enjoy the forums.

ta bi

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2005-9-19 at 17:49
i'm also intrigued about the flashlights. how do LED ones compare to the convenional ones?

The_virus

Currently listening to: Heartbeats with a Littmann Classic II S.E.

posted on 2005-9-19 at 22:15
Well, some people collect guns or knives or stamps...I collect flashlights. I see them as both useful tools and expressions of design ideas.

LED vs. incandescent is an interesting debate. LEDs are getting better and better all the time, with the eventual goal of replacing incandescent bulbs altogether. LEDs run cooler, last longer, are much more shock (drop) resistant), use batteries more efficiently and can come in various colours. Incans are cheaper to produce, tend to throw their light farther (this is really starting to change though), and their light cuts through smoke a bit better.

Incans are all the same colour though, a red/green/blue incan. light has a coloured lens, or the bulb itself is coloured glass. This makes coloured incans. much less effective because coloured lenses do not allow as much light to pass through them.

That's the short explanation of LED vs. incan. Both are capable of producing really white light, cheap LEDs tend to be more blue, while cheap incans are the familiar orange/yellow.

Personally I prefer LEDs all the way. Replacing bulbs is a huge pain, and if it's not a Maglite, you may have trouble finding replacement ones. I carry an LED flashlight with me at all times, and let's just say I would not be caught dead carrying my old Maglite Solitaire around anymore...unless it was modified in some way.

...and that's my flashlight schpeel.

The Virus Runs Rampant

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2005-9-20 at 01:17
this man knows his stuff.

lenny

Currently listening to: Dave Matthews Band

posted on 2005-12-20 at 08:45
Its been ages since anyone posted on here but i hope somebody's listening.
i cant remember how i came across The Livid but it was only recently. Unfortunately i hear the game is over for them. bummer.
i'm an aussie -(for those who dont know what that is, it means i come from australia, Oz, Down under whatever you want to call this little island where nobody knows anything)- not knowing anything referring to the fact that noone here seems to have EVER heard of The Livid!!I've only been sucessful in downloading two of their songs onto my media player so they're getting a good workout. I hope this makes sense and is not a foreign language to everyone or anyone who reads this, hence being a waste of time.
back to introducing myself... I'm loving a lot of bands at the moment, most you prob havnt heard of. Surely you've heard of Bush-the band. lovin them! Also Sarah Mcleod, formally of the SuperJesus, also Rogue Traders, aussie band fairly new on the scene.
Question... Is there any other Aussies out there? If so, how did you hear about The Livid?

Lenny J

tremendous
Administrator

posted on 2005-12-20 at 09:32
sin is our aussie long-timer, and i think he still checks up every now and then. i'm sure he'll post to say hello. posts here are few and far between these days, but you can bet that the main regulars will see if anything's new once in a while and post their two aussie cents. so hi!

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

posted on 2005-12-20 at 12:13
<----- Read.

Howdy doody. I heard about The Livid by accident in downloading Falling Behind (thinking it was an Incubus track, a method quite a few came across in discovering this band back in the days of Napster/early Kazaa).

Bush rock, Sarah McCloud is hot (and I had the good fortune of working with her a few years back when she was in Superjesus, my dad was supplying the P.A. for a gig in Wangaratta and I was helping out, mind you I was about 15/16 so I was stumbling over myself talking to her) and I've always been a Superjesus fan, Rogue Traders I'm not big on, though I haven't heard many tracks.

Anyway, hi and stuff.

lenny

Currently listening to: Dave Matthews Band

posted on 2005-12-21 at 08:12
You been able to get your hands on any Livid gear here? I asked some people i work with again today if they've heard of The Livid, still no luck. Hey, where you from?

Lenny J

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

posted on 2005-12-21 at 12:04
I have all three albums and a t shirt (which, funnily enough, I'm wearing right now), I ordered them online.

Melbourne (well, I'm from Albury-Wodonga, but I now live in Melbourne).

Falcon-

Currently listening to:

posted on 2006-1-31 at 16:48
From Arkansas here, heard of The Livid from my roommate. Even though its insanely hard to find any of their stuff around here we are both huge fans.
Reivax
Custon Status

Currently listening to: Dredg & God Is An Astronaut

posted on 2006-2-3 at 21:33
welcome. The forums are pretty dormant, unfortunately, but still...welcome.

Yeah, since the bands no more, I can only imagine it getting harder to find any of their stuff. Good luck, though. If you keep looking, I'm sure you'll find some stuff.

What songs do you have?

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=reivax

<<  1    2    3    4  >>

go to top