go to bottom

Author: Subject: HOW MUCH MONEY DO SIGNED ARTISTS MAKE???
FireStormX

Currently listening to:

posted on 2003-7-21 at 23:44
HOW MUCH MONEY DO SIGNED ARTISTS MAKE???

If you're in a band and recording records, click on the link to find out how much records you will have to sell to break even.

http://www.mosesavalon.com/marc.htm

If a man has nothing worth dying for, he is not living. With this one special person, I have learned to live.

RobH
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: Westpoint

posted on 2003-7-22 at 03:54
Artists just get screwed by record companies. The music industry is probably the most corrupt industry in the world... with maybe the exception of the Mafia... They are pretty corrupt. Check this out:

http://melodicrock.com/interviews/theinsiderinterview.html

www.sluggy.com

Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2003-7-22 at 15:04
Firestorm and Rob, what's up with you guys man? Are you saying there is no hope for The Livid to make some cash when they get signed? Are you saying that an eggo should rightfully be called a waffel?

one last show.

kaitlynn
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: rent

posted on 2003-7-22 at 15:29
i hope the world never comes to that, they are round!!!

-Kaitlynn*

"I dreamed a dream of days gone by, I dreamed a dream a life worth living. I dreamt that love would never die. I dreamt that life would be, forgiving...But the tigers come at night, with their voices loud as thunder. As they tear our dreams apart, as they turn our dreams to shame."
-Fantine
(oh the the lifelong sorrows)

Jeff K
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: Head Automatica

posted on 2003-7-22 at 16:27
I don't think they're saying the Livid won't make it at all. They're saying that the music industry as it is now, is set up very unfairly in that it's set up to benefit mainly the record company, with the artist only making serious money once they sell copies numbering into the millions. We all know that not every artist, in fact, not many artists sell over a million copies.

Hopefully changes in the industry will come but it probably won't be until there are some serious lawsuits filed by bands and that could take a long time.

http://www.westpointrock.com
http://www.myspace.com/westpoint

.WAR IS OVER - If you want it.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage ICQ status of Jeff+K This user has MSN messenger
Chris
Moderator of Death

Currently listening to: textures

posted on 2003-7-22 at 16:44
it's all in the contract. many bands getting their first record deal will, effectively, sign their money away.

it's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

ta bi

Mark

Currently listening to: james blunt

posted on 2003-7-22 at 19:05
quotation:
Originally posted by Chris
it's all in the contract. many bands getting their first record deal will, effectively, sign their money away.

it's a dog-eat-dog world out there.

Heh true

There are some real famous bands still leaving in their same old homes with their same old cars.

[Edited on 22/7/03 by Mark]

www.westpointrock.com

dorkusmalorkice

Currently listening to: A Perfect Circle

posted on 2003-7-22 at 21:55
yeah thats true, if i became a real famous person, id keep my same house and car, theres really no point in buying all this new crap unless you need it (ex: M C Hammer). I know most of the famous people just do it for attention. BUT I know I would do the occasional shopping for fun. Eh what am I saying ill never be famous.

(¯`'ˇ.¸(¯`'ˇ.¸DORK¸.ˇ'´¯)¸.ˇ'´¯)

View user's profile AIM status of dorkusmalorkice This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of dorkusmalorkice
RobH
Posting Machine

posted on 2003-7-23 at 01:38
Jeff is right. If you don't sell a whole shit load of albums the only ones making money are the record companies. There are so many bands that want to make it no matter what, that record companies can basically continue their shady practices indefinitely. Sad but true.

www.sluggy.com

Xlivid
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: THE LIVID

posted on 2003-7-23 at 03:50
you guys are forgeting one thing... all the calculations that you saw only accounted for the CD sales.. 80 of what a band makes is from playing live shows... thats a fact... and so who really cares if the labels make all the money on CD's ... the more CD's you sell the more people will liikely wanna come see you play... thats why bands like to sign to major labels cuz they sometimes, not all the time, have the ability to get the word out...

cb

Christopher Bowes
Founder/ head of technical production
www.64dollarproductions.com

RobH
Posting Machine

posted on 2003-7-23 at 04:31
That is true. But you still aren't going to make millions of dollars touring unless you are one of the top 50 grossing tours. That is a very small percentage of artist.

www.sluggy.com

go to top