go to bottom

<<  1    2  >>
Author: Subject: The Ambition Within Review - Hosted by Dagger Phillips and Raine
armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: New Livid?!? Wha??????

posted on 2004-10-6 at 03:09
In the heavier stuff i guess solos dont nessisarily fit, but i would like to hear maybe one or too. although i suppose the intro to reckless is as solo-ish as you can get.

Some things take more than a lifetime.

SideO_JR
Oh Dear

Currently listening to:

posted on 2004-10-6 at 04:30
so what was this critsism. What did you have to say that was bad about the album? just wondering since i didn;t get to listen in

o and raine is this the only show you do?

How do you communicate those emotions that are so intense that no physical expression or series of words can even scratch the surface?

Sin Ogaris
Über Poster

Currently listening to: Coheed and Cambria

posted on 2004-10-6 at 05:04
quotation:
Originally posted by Dagger Phillips
I like a good guitar riff with a kick ass solo on top! Alot of time it's the backing riff that makes the solo.

IMHO, more than one guitar is rather unneeded. I still like solos, but that doesn't mean one guitarist can't do awesome riffs and then throw a solo in a bridge or so. Although to be honest I like The Livid's style, the way the songs are put together makes it feel like solos aren't all that needed. That's my take on things, Tool does the same thing and it works for them.

View user's profile Visit user's homepage AIM status of Sin+Ogaris This user has MSN messenger
Krista

Currently listening to: the hum of my computer

posted on 2004-10-6 at 12:16
I listened to the last half because I couldn't get the Livid site to work so I couldn't follow the link. I caught Chris' call but missed Dez's You two did well and you seemed to feed off each other which was good for the show.

If you have something to say, raise your hand...and put it over your mouth.

Raine
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Walkers Line - Little Bit

posted on 2004-10-6 at 13:14
quotation:
Originally posted by SideO_JR
o and raine is this the only show you do?

No this isn't even my show slot, it's Dag's. My show is every Tuesday from 11 am - 1 pm. It's all indie music from Ontario, so I play a lot of The Livid, Westpoint, Ill Scarlett, Spinstill.. all the bands you guys know and love. Just thought it'd be fun to cohost with Dag on his first performance on air turned out well for a pair of disorganized lunatics. hehehe

[Edited on 10-6-04 by Raine]

Remember to tune in Tuesdays between 11:00 am - 1:00 pm on 89.9 FM or at http://ckrg.glendon.yorku.ca/ for The New Rock Show, hosted by yours truly. A solid hour of independent music, featuring bands like: The Livid, Westpoint, Spinstill, Monday, and more!

DeeDee
Posting Machine

Currently listening to: fall out boy

posted on 2004-10-6 at 13:37
yay for us ppl with radio shows lol

Dag, make sure you play that Sydney song i sent you... the guy might go blind in one eye now

1lilrockerchic
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: My Mp3 Player

posted on 2004-10-6 at 16:40
quotation:
Originally posted by Raine
No this isn't even my show slot, it's Dag's. My show is every Tuesday from 11 am - 1 pm. It's all indie music from Ontario, so I play a lot of The Livid, Westpoint, Ill Scarlett, Spinstill.. all the bands you guys know and love.
[Edited on 10-6-04 by Raine]

Spinstill...WHAT!!!!(its a good thing...lol) too bad i missed the show sounded like lots of fun!! maybe another time lol

.::Lullaby::.
xX*I am sorry now (but will I ever let you go…)
Things seem so wrong (I had something worth living for)
I cant go on, but its something we’re suppose to do
My heart is crushed, now that I’m without you
I’m without you *Xx

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage AIM status of 1lilrockerchic This user has MSN messenger Yahoo status of 1lilrockerchic
Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Motley Crue- If I Die Tomorrow

posted on 2004-10-6 at 21:46
quotation:
Originally posted by Sin Ogaris
quotation:
Originally posted by Dagger Phillips
I like a good guitar riff with a kick ass solo on top! Alot of time it's the backing riff that makes the solo.

IMHO, more than one guitar is rather unneeded. I still like solos, but that doesn't mean one guitarist can't do awesome riffs and then throw a solo in a bridge or so. Although to be honest I like The Livid's style, the way the songs are put together makes it feel like solos aren't all that needed. That's my take on things, Tool does the same thing and it works for them.

Not saying that all songs have to have a solo or that alls ongs need two guitars. I do agree that alot of the time one guitar is sufficient, but if you're going to have a solo, sometimes the backround riff play a huge part in making the solo effective.

The Livid don't NEED solos. I was just pointing out that Clear Me was a great example of using a well placed, well writen guitar solo into a song to give it something unique to that song.

www.bittercandi.com

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage This user has MSN messenger
Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Oh Dear

Currently listening to: Angels and Airwaves- The Adventure

posted on 2004-10-6 at 21:54
I say boo-urns for negatively saying crap.. Who strapped balls on to you guys anyways?

hahaha, who am I kidding. Negative reviews can only make this band better.

one last show.

Dagger Phillips
Recognised Member

Currently listening to: Motley Crue- If I Die Tomorrow

posted on 2004-10-6 at 22:13
quotation:
Originally posted by Pure_Ibanez_Sound
Negative reviews can only make this band better.

Yup. If theres something that you don't particularly like or thing could have been better, it's important to say, rather than just be polite and say "It's Awesome dude!" That way the guys get an idea of what works and what doesn't and they might even think of things they may not have thought about. Sometimes they will agree with you and sometimes not.

I didn't want to come off as so negative, cause I really do think the album is very good. I just wanted to review it the same way I would review a CD by a band that was signed, as opposed to a CD by a band that I know. So I was holding them up to a ridiculously high standard. But it is a standard I know they are able to achieve.

On a positive note. Next week on the show will be the TOP 10 GOOD THINGS ABOUT THE AMBITION WITHIN

[Edited on 6-10-04 by Dagger Phillips]

www.bittercandi.com

View user's profile Email user Visit user's homepage This user has MSN messenger
Raine
Recognised Member

posted on 2004-10-12 at 22:30
Hey Kiddies... don't forget THE DAGGER PHILLIPS SHOW TONITE @ 6:45 pm!

Remember to tune in Tuesdays between 11:00 am - 1:00 pm on 89.9 FM or at http://ckrg.glendon.yorku.ca/ for The New Rock Show, hosted by yours truly. A solid hour of independent music, featuring bands like: The Livid, Westpoint, Spinstill, Monday, and more!

little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2004-10-12 at 22:44
I'll be calling

you won't let me down...

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-10-12 at 22:53
playing around with knobs eh?

armour_guitarist
Oh Dear

posted on 2004-10-12 at 22:54
i can hear Dez. good volume adjustment.

little_lady
Not quite as sad as the post count would suggest

Currently listening to: circuit!

posted on 2004-10-12 at 23:08
Shhh!! I knew it sounded dirty after I said it...but it was too late to take it back.

Sex sells, I guess. SO it's all for the ratings!

you won't let me down...

Raine
Recognised Member

posted on 2004-10-19 at 19:08
Another show tonite kids. Now's your chance to blast us on live radio for our opinions.

<<  1    2  >>

go to top